CHOOSING YOUR DREAM HOME
There’s a lot to think about when it comes to buying your dream home. Every decision, small to large, is important,
and can increase the price dramatically. Let’s look at a list of common issues that buyers face.
1. Neighborhood: Deciding on what neighborhood you desire is tricky. You must consider your wants and needs. They vary by person. Do you have children and need to live within the boundaries of a specific school district? You might want a short commute, a neighborhood with historic homes, or homes that are near night life and restaurants.
3. Floorplan: Architectural styles offer a wide range of choices! Open floor plans might appeal to you, with their great flow for entertaining. Or you may have a more traditional aesthetic, preferring cozy rooms. Think about how you live your life and what style best fits your needs.
4. Finishes: There are different grades of homes. Take your kitchen, for example. You can find a wide range of beautiful laminate counters, just as you can find a wide range of beautiful granite ones. These choices dramatically affect price. Think carefully about what you want in your dream home. Do you want stone floors or will ceramic suffice? Are you looking for green building materials, such as zero-voc paint, bamboo floors, and recycled counters?
5. Amenities: Our homes extend past the borders of our property. We live in the parks, shopping, and restaurants that surround us. Be sure to think outside the “box” of your house when you buy.
6. Landscaping: A large yard can mean lots of entertaining potential, but it can also mean a lot of work. Be sure to consider your needs now and down the road when it comes to yard maintenance. Many buyers prefer a townhouse or condo as their “dream home”. These options afford buyers with much less responsibility when it comes to upkeep!
Be sure to discuss all of these topics with your real estate agent. They can help you decide on a happy compromise among the long list of choices. They’ll also help you know what items on your wish list you can get in your price range. Good luck on your dream home search!